I am excited to launch my digital portfolio, under the direction of a course hosted by the one and only George Couros! My goals in maintaining this portfolio are shaped by my long-standing desire to create a blog and some clear direction from George Couros in his Digital Portfolio Master Course. My goals include:
- Document my learning journey as a teacher, coach, and student
- Improve my writing craft through reflection
- Act as a producer rather than a consumer
- Push my thinking
- Connect with others
Per George’s advice, my posts will be connected to the Teacher Leader Model Standards developed by the Leadership Exploratory Consortium and published by the National Education Association. They are the standards, organized by domain, that are used for my evaluation as an Instructional Literacy Coach:
- Domain I: Fostering a collaborative culture to support educator development and student learning
- Domain II: Accessing and using research to improve practice and student learning
- Domain III: Promoting professional learning for continuous improvement
- Domain IV: Facilitating improvements in instruction and student learning
- Domain V: Promoting the use of assessments and data for school and district improvement
- Domain VI: Improving outreach and collaboration with families and community
- Domain VII: Advocating for student learning and the profession
At the start of his course, George shared an inspirational video, titled “Dear Sophie,” that was about a father writing emails to his newborn daughter.
I so wish I had done this for my three boys! They are now 19, 17, and 15, and although I suppose it’s never too late to chronicle their lives digitally, I think I’ll let that idea rest and just enjoy the motivation that comes from this video.
It seems a bit cliché to be publishing my first official post on January 1, when so many are perhaps overly-enthusiastic about committing to New Year’s Resolutions, but I know that this has been a long time coming, and the timing truly did just happen to coincide with the first day of the new year. Speaking of the New Year… WELCOME, 2021!!!!!